Winter can be a depressing time with it being cold and damp; especially when you have a cold or flu…
Check our Sinus Tips (to keep you sinus free this winter) …
Keep reading for amazing ideas that will make sure you have lots of fun and keep your spirits high…
If you have lots of energy and don’t mind the cold then you will love these amazing OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES that you, your whole family or group of friends can do … such as:
- Building a snow man in the front yard! Everyone loves this!
- Having a snow ball fight
- Take a walk with your children in the snow
- Making a snow angel
- Children can play tag or hide and seek
- Go sledding from a nice hill
- Jump on a trampoline
- Build a snow castle or your very own igloo. Adults can build the structure while children mould the bricks.
- Go fishing… this is a great time to catch big fish!
- Ice-skate on a frozen lake or go ice-skating at a park
- If there is a bit of sunshine showing… bask in the sun
- Take a nature hike
- Go for a 15 minute power walk around your neighborhood
- Take a slow walk early one evening (before it gets really cold and really dark) around your neighborhood admiring how everyone decorated their houses with lights and trimmings
- Drink hot coffee or cocoa outside
- Go skiing or snowshoeing
- Look for animal tracks in the snow… see how many tracks you can identify correctly to the animal that made it…
- Make ice candles and place them in your yard. Make them by filling water in a bucket and placing a plastic cup in the center to create a hole once the water freezes. Place a stick across the top of the bucket and tape the cup to the stick so that the cup does not drift from the center. Once the water has frozen remove the cup and bucket (use warm water to loosen them) and place a lit candle in the hole. (To freeze the water you can leave the bucket outside overnight or put it in the freezer). These candles make your yard look awesome and your kids will love them…
- Go snow tubing or snow kiting
Remember to be safe and responsible when engaging in the above activities and to dress up warm when you go outside by accessorizing with gloves, hats, ear muffs, socks, scarves and a good warm jacket…
Always check the weather forecast before doing any outdoor activity. If the weather is too cold opt for one of the indoor activities instead.
If you prefer staying inside there are also many INDOOR ACTIVITIES … you can have fun by:
- Exercising – do simple exercises or take out that aerobics workout video and strut your stuff!
- Visit a museum or art gallery with your partner or a friend
- Take all your photo albums out (even the ones of yourself when you were growing up), get your family together (just you, your partner and your children), snuggle up on the sofa near the fireplace and go over all the pictures. You can even do this by yourself…
- Go to the movies with your family or friends or better yet hire some of your favorite DVD movies and play them at home – don’t forget microwave popcorn the next time you at the supermarket!
- It is usually warm at the mall or shopping center, so go shopping with friends and have lunch at one of your favorite restaurants afterwards
- Take a friend or that special someone for coffee at a cozy coffee and muffin shop
- You can stay in bed and finish reading that book you never had a chance to
- Get your children (or nieces and nephews) together and find the artist in you by painting, drawing and coloring pictures of the snow, Father Christmas or other fun holiday stuff!
- Find time to decorate your home… you definitely want your home to look fantastic for Christmas when your family comes around!
- Had enough of computer games, TV games and cell phones?? Gather your family up one snowy day and bring out all your old board games like monopoly, snakes and ladders, chess, backgammon, twister, ludo or other classical games! You are bound to have fun!
- Do you or anyone in your family know how to play a musical instrument? Invite them and their family over one cold day and create your own holiday band! Everyone should bring something to eat (like biscuits, cake, donuts or muffins) and you provide hot coffee and cocoa…yum, yum….
- Are your children bored? Organize with other parents and host a sleep over party for them and their friends… girls at your house and boys at another parent’s house (or vice versaJ)…
- If you want to do something for the adults then invite a bunch of your friends and family members over and host a cocktail party. Drink reasonably and have a meal before you bring in the drinks. Compile some of the greatest musical hits and have fun!
- Go to a spa and pamper yourself… or stay at home and create your own spa! Fill the bath with warm water and use your favorite bubble bath, essential oils and sea salt. Switch off the lights in the bathroom and fill the room with lit candles. Put a do not disturb sign on the bathroom door and relax for a few hours!
- Create a romantic dinner for you and your partner at home (send the kids to grandma or a beloved aunt). This is a wonderful way to spend a winter evening!
- Learn how to dance by hiring or buying an instructional DVD! Invite friends over to join or practice alone.
- Sometimes just relaxing in bed, watching television or cozying up with the ones you love are the best things you can do in winter…
Remember that whether you choose to do indoor or outdoor activities HAVE FUN and take lots of photos to add to your memories…
Have a fantastic Winter!